Sunday, May 22, 2011

"Survive" by Les Stroud (Peter Kummerfeldt Review)


Peter demonstrates firemaking  by rubbing two sticks together.

I finally got around to reading this book and, for the most part, thought it a useful addition to a person’s survival library.
And then I got to the part where Les writes:
“A good signal mirror can also serve as a fire starter by reflecting the sun’s rays.” (Page 28)
How do you do that?How do you concentrate the rays into a spot hot enough to ignite tinder using a flat surface? A highly polished parabolic reflector can be used, but not a flat surface!
On one level, this kind of miss-information just irritates me. On a more serious level,  it angers me since it confirms for me that the writer hasn’t tested the process and has just accepted someone else’s information as factual!
To read the rest of the story, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment